Friday, June 24, 2011

“I Waited Patiently For the Lord” (Ps 40)


“I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth – Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord” (vs1-2).

The Lord Jesus believed the salvation God would give Him, even while suffering for sin. He is the obedient Son who earned our place in heaven by believing that He'd be there, by God's faithfulness, even while the agonies were on Him. It is by faith in heaven to come that we conquer the miseries of present life, the sure promise of God!

First, Jesus speaks as One who accomplished salvation (vs1-5). He says, “He has put a new song in my mouth – praise to our God”. He looks upon His agonies as finished, before they're done, because He believes the faithfulness of God, knowing that He won't be forsaken. He says, “Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust, and does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies”. We must be optimistic about God, seeing the end – the promises – from the beginning. Don't discourage yourself in your present condition; look to heaven, look to resting from your labors, and live in the hope of Christ. He said, “Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done; and Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered”. He knew that WE would praise God by the victory given to Christ in His exaltation after suffering. He knew the Spirit would testify of Christ, and that His people would reverence God because of it! He saw the end so glorious and CERTAIN, that He suffered submissively and savingly.

Secondly, the path of salvation was obedience (vs6-10). He says, “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; my ears You have opened [bored a hole through to proclaim my willing slavery (Ex 21:5-6)]. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require. Then I said, 'Behold, I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me. I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart”. Christ Himself was made the sacrifice for sin, as the Lord laid on Him the iniquity of us all, punishing Christ in the place of His elect, so that we can be forgiven. The justice of God demands blood atonement for sins, and Christ PAID the price, so that we could be received in reconciliation, not by our merit but His! He lived a holy life, preached righteousness, and did only good; He was, in all things, the Man who is worthy of His reward. He says, “I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness in the great assembly; indeed, I do not restrain my lips, O Lord, You Yourself know. I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindnesss and Your truth from the great assembly”. He is exalted because He deserves the throne as One who is pure and holy in totality. Don't think that you're going to heaven without Christ's obedience as your hope, without Him who died as your Lord. We read elsewhere, “And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him” (Heb 5:9). We receive the atonement, only as we receive Him.

Finally, Christ suffered to put away sins and overcome the hatred of men (vs11-17). He says, “Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O Lord; let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve me. For innumerable evils have surrounded me; my iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up they are more than the hairs of my head... Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; O Lord, make haste to help me! Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion who seek to destroy my life; let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor who wish me evil. Let them be confounded because of their shame, who say to me, 'Aha, aha!'”. He was despised for His holiness and service to God, being hated by evil men because He did good. They could not take the Light, “for everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed” (John 3:20). Yet, His misery, while real... and the temptations, while mega-strong... were unable to break the life giving power of hope. He suffered and needed help as one poor and needy, but He looked upon God as gracious, faithful, and joy giving. He said, “But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God”.

As you endure your miseries, see the Lord Jesus on the other side, pulling you through,and giving praise to God as the result of your woes. He will do it, and believing His faithfulness amidst the storm is what floats your boat, brings heavenly power, and gives peace. Romans 8:24-25 says, “For we were saved by hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance”. Perseverance is the result of believing that heaven is sure, even while I suffer on earth. I don't have Paradise yet, but I assuredly will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heshimu Colar, Pastor

Heshimu Colar, Pastor
Welcome to The Gospel Blog