While driving slowly to the meetinghouse on a snowy Lord’s Day, I waved to an officer sitting in a police car in a parking lot beside the street. I saw no response at all. And I became somewhat concerned when I noticed the officer’s head was tilting backward. I immediately turned around and parked beside the police car, then walked toward it from the front so that the officer could see me. There still was no response, although I could see that the officer’s eyes were open. I was by now very concerned.
Then I observed that the officer was a lifeless dummy. It had been placed there only for the sake of appearance, to make people think a real officer was observing them. But it was quite oblivious to all that was going on around it.
As I continued on my way to the worship service, I wondered if there would be any such persons sitting in our pews. Would there be any in attendance who had come only for the sake of appearance, to make an impression on others, while in reality being oblivious to all that would be said and done around them. Would there be any sitting in our pews as unconcerned about their souls as that police dummy was about public safety?
Let us not be dummies in God’s house. Dummies may fool for a while, but they eventually are seen to be what they truly are. Let us therefore come into God’s house not merely to make an appearance. Rather, let us come to seek and to worship Him. Let us enter joyfully, sing heartily, pray fervently, give gladly, listen attentively, obey the gospel dutifully, depart blessed.
- Daniel Parks
No comments:
Post a Comment