Tuesday, January 25, 2011

“Rest From War” (Joshua 13:8-14:15)



We rest when the enemies are conquered, but we never completely rest here. We read, “Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh as an inheritance... because he wholly followed the Lord God of Israel... then the land rested from war” (Josh14:15). The sin within is miraculously subdued by the Lord who gives us strength, who blesses us with faith, and then blesses our faithfulness. But it is never eradicated. We read again, “Nevertheless the children of Israel did not drive out the Geshurites or the Maachathites, but the Geshurites and the Maachathites dwell among the Israelites until this day” (Josh 13:13). We continually fight, but we win. He says, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Eph 6:10-11).

When feeling overcome, and sin seems to be your lot in life, believe the promises of a God who saves sinners unworthy of salvation. All the while that He saves us, it is UNWORTHINESS in self that's overcome. Yet, He is the God of mercy, so receive the power that He gives, and FOR Christ's sake, say that He is righteous to bless you, in spite of your constant battle with sin, failures, and all. He is not a forsaking God, and no matter how hell-worthy and wretched we are, He continues to save according to His purpose, His promise, and His love.

We are more than conquerors, though we war daily (Rom 8:31-39). We read, “Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor power, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord”. Having Him, I have a reason to be blessed. Yet, though we rest now by faith, we don't REALLY rest until we get to heaven, to sin and fight no more, when the victory is won. I confessed four reasons that I trust Christ today at a relatives memorial service:

  1. Hell. I'm fearful of God's wrath. Blocking it out of my mind and loving sin will not stop the wrath from coming. I can't jump the cliff without sinking, and I can't face God in peace without Christ the Lord.
  2. Sin. Sin is monstrous and uncontrollable by me. I have NO power to subdue it or remove it's guilt and shame. I can't atone, and I can't put down the sin that's within. No matter what, at the end of the day, to look lustfully is the same as the act of adultery, and I cannot overcome it.
  3. Christ Jesus. He took away the sins of all who trust Him, paying them off completely, and earning the Spirit whereby they're subdued in this life. I have a Savior who CONQUERS sin, not only reconciling me to God, but granting me present power, peace, and joy, undeserved.
  4. Grace. Electing love put me in the kingdom, and God is the REASON that I believe. Scripture says, “May God persuade Japheth, and may he dwell in the tents of Shem; and may Canaan be his servant” (Gen 9:27). God comes, when I'm in sin, and gives forgiveness, when I'm expecting wrath and separation. He is SO gracious that words cannot describe Him, but He saves because He loves, and whom He loves, He doesn't allow us to perish, granting repentance BY the forgiveness of sins. We read again, “To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called the tress of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified” (Is 61:3).

Until we get to heaven, God will give us power to obey. We must fight, but we will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heshimu Colar, Pastor

Heshimu Colar, Pastor
Welcome to The Gospel Blog