Monday, July 19, 2010

God‘s Glory By Us (2 Cor 1:14-2:4)


“For all the promises of God in [Christ] are yes, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us” (vs20)

The Lord teaches us to show the same character to others, truthfulness, faithfulness, and love, that He shows unto us.

Paul was clear in his conscience that he’d SERVED the church at Corinth and others. He isn’t saying he’s faultless; he is declaring God’s grace has not only pardoned but also empowered him to love - “For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.  For we are not writing any other things to you than what you read or understand. Now I trust you will understand, even to the end  (as also you have understood us in part), that we are your boast as you also are ours, in the day of the Lord Jesus“ (vs12-14).

He declares himself honest, saying, “And in this confidence, I was minded to come unto you before, that you might have a second benefit. And to pass by you into Macedonia, and to come again out of Macedonia unto you, and of you to be brought on my way toward Judea.  When I therefore was thus minded, did I use lightness? Or the things that I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, that with me there should be yea, yea, and nay, nay? But as God is true, our word toward you was not yes and no.  for the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timothy, was not yes and no, but in him was yes. For all the promises of God in him are yes, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us” (vs15-20).

God is honored by doing good to sinners and saving people elected from the world’s foundation. He is TRUE and faithful to us, even though we spit upon Him.  He is GRACIOUS to people who use that grace to sin.  He is good to us because His faithful promises are based upon the obedience of His exalted Son, and they are received by faith alone, so they are sure and valid to all that believe.

He instructs us that his character, like his gospel, was faithful.  Paul didn’t say, “I’m coming to see you”, just to use words: he did it because he believed that he would make it there, God willing, but something came up.  He declares that he’s faithful, instead of being wishy washy, talking loud, but saying nothing that matters to the change of his heart.  He is honest and true, having learned FAITHFULNESS and graciousness from the promising and performing God.

Paul isn’t setting himself and pastors up as lords.  He says, “Now he which establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us is God; who has also marked us, and given the first portion of the Spirit in our hearts.  Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you, I came not as yet unto Corinth. Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith you stand.  But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. For if I make you sorry, who is he then that makes me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?  And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.  For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that you should be grieved, but that you might know the love which I have more abundantly for you” (2 Cor 1:21-2:4).

Christ LOVED us and gave Himself for us.  His God-sent servants preach Christ from the heart, wishing you good.

We are not using you to magnify our “ministries”, nor are we seeking positions of influence to dim the light of Christ. We are slaves of the Master who love you from the heart, using the gospel for your good, even when painful things must be said.  We are not lovers of doctrine and yet indifferent to men; we LOVE the Christ (gospel doctrine) and we love the people that we serve, knowing that we’ll meet believers again in heaven, recognize each other, and we’ll rejoice as only pastor and people can at the Great Day of Judgment (2 Cor 1:14).

Beware of being used.  Many take the name “pastor” for an occasion to the flesh, to yoke sinners to themselves, like wolves who feed off the sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heshimu Colar, Pastor

Heshimu Colar, Pastor
Welcome to The Gospel Blog