Monday, July 12, 2010

Refreshed By You (Rom 15:25-16:4)


Three things are clearly taught here.

1. We are to give
2.  Assurance and prayer work together
3.  Commend others

First, we are to give.  The gospel is moved forward by the gifts of the people. Paul said, “Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way there by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company”, if you love me and the message (vs24).  “But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it has pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem“, to help Christ‘s cause and those who believe (vs25-26).  “It has pleased them truly; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.  When there I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain” (vs27-28).  Paul writes elsewhere, “Let him that is taught in the word share in all good things with him that teaches” (Gal 6:6).

Secondly, we pray, even though we’re assured of things.

Sovereignty and prayer go hand in hand.  I can be assured of favor and yet pray that He bless me, too.  Paul wrote, “And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.  Now, I call upon you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ’ sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; that I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints; that I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.  Now the God of peace”, the one Paul trusts to make obedience possible, “be with you all.  Amen”.

The gospel demands that we even pray that our love be received by the church, that brothers receive it in love and thanks to God.

Thirdly, we commend others - “I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: that you receive her in the Lord, as fits saints, and that you assist her in whatsoever business she has need of you“, her advancing the cause of Christ, “for she has been a helper of many, and of myself also.  Great Priscilla and Aquila my fellow-workers in Christ Jesus: who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles”, so that it is RIGHT to commend those who honor God, and we are RIGHT to help them serve, using our gifts to assist their’s, even as Pricilla and Aquila loved Paul enough to risk their lives for him, and thereby, the nations could be saved (Rom 16:1-4).

Lastly, we need and help each other, even as Paul was refreshed by the church whom he refreshed with his preaching.  Every member is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heshimu Colar, Pastor

Heshimu Colar, Pastor
Welcome to The Gospel Blog