Friday, July 23, 2010

"Confirm Your Love Toward Him" (2 Cor 2:5-17)


Love people who have sinned, when they repent.  Love them freely - “So that contrariwise, you ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.  Wherefore I call upon you to confirm your love toward him” (2 Cor 2:7-8).

CONFIRM YOUR LOVE (vs5-11)

vs5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all. 6  Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. 7  So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. 8  Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. 9  For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. 10  To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; 11  Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

1.  Grief is because we hurt people, forcing them to separate from our company, because we have done wrong (vs5).  
2.  Paul says, I’m only partly grieved. I’m not mad and put out.  I forgive. (vs5)
3.  I don’t want to burden you.  It is past, mercy is given, I receive him freely and joyfully.  You too!  I command it as becomes Christ.
4.  Rather than be mad, help him (vs7).  Paul is saying, I’m not angry; I’m encouraging your love to repentant children of God!
5.  You don’t want to burden.  Help him know forgiveness by your love and relieve him.  Take away the shame and the bondage, and in so doing, you’ll have freedom.  Rather than judging, you’ll be loved (vs7).  Our Lord says in Luke 6:37, “Judge not, and you will not be judged: condemn not, and you will not be condemned: forgive, and you will be forgiven”.
6.  Love him.  You have done right in receiving him, now do it fully.  Put no difference because of sin (vs8).  All aren‘t as lovely in their behavior, but all should be loved, even if they’ve done things before.
7.  In everything, obey, not only putting away the unbelieving but receiving the brother (vs9).
8.  We must forgive freely, or it isn’t forgiveness. It can’t be, “Hold them in doubt or watch them like hawks”. We cannot judge, lest we be judged (vs10).
9.  Forgiveness is real. It isn’t something we say, but before God, we do it, showing the love from the heart (vs10).
10.  Satan wants people to forget grace and tolerate sin.  Then, he wants us to forget grace and harbor ill towards people who repent. He wants us to sin that grace might abound, and he wants us to hate people who aren’t “holy like us” (vs11).

PROOF (vs12-13)

vs12 Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ’s gospel, and a door was opened unto me of the Lord, 13  I had no rest in my spirit, because I found not Titus my brother: but taking my leave of them, I went from thence into Macedonia.

1.  Here is proof of my love for you, Paul says.  I was so concerned for you that I left an open door of preaching to find out about you, not only must I know, but I must go through whatever needful expense to learn. I prove by my actions, Paul says, so let us PROVE our love, even as we desire it from others.  Be examples of what you want others to show. (vs12-13)
2.  He didn’t come for any purpose but the preaching of Christ, and he devoted himself to it, as every man must be devoted in his own city, ministry, and gifts. We must, each of us, in our own way, use our gifts where we are to honor God.  Don’t live your life for yourself and miss pleasure; live for the Son (vs12).  Paul didn’t say, “It is well with me, so forget others”.  He said, “How can I enjoy anything until I know how my children do?” (vs13)
3.  Paul is not a high up in his mind. He calls Titus, “our brother“. He is authoritative and yet humble, meek and yet bold. We must be both: not one. (vs13)

THE PREACHER AND HIS PREACHING (vs14-17)

Vs14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15  For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. 16  To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? 17  For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ.

1.  He thanks God, contemplating his labors, that God makes him a blessing and a curse: a blessing to believers, a curse to the ungodly, and God is pleased regardless, giving him victory in Christ, enabling him to preach in love (vs14)
2.  God gives the grace, the forgiveness, the conviction, and everything that we need, so that we conquer rather than fail at what we do. God is the STRENGTH of my heart(vs14).   We are His messengers, so surely He helps us succeed.  He will not be negligent to His cause, but He graciously and willingly assists us in exalting His Son, whom He loves.  Ps 28:7 says, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise Him”. 
3.  It doesn’t matter what people think.  The love of God is on us who do His will. Don’t be ashamed of God’s love being on you and the fact that you, by faith and love, thrill Him as scripture says.  He takes pleasure in His work in us, as He should (vs15).
4.  He smells Christ’s love, blood, and Spirit. He smells His Son when He sees us (vs15)
5.  It doesn’t matter that people hate God, so long as God loves the message. It is better to be a stink to men than to be abhorred of God. I don’t have to be successful numerically to please God and die in peace, but I must be faithful to the Son.  Therefore, faithfulness, and not responses, is the intention of the preacher, to please Christ in the hope that He gives LIFE to whom He will. We must BELIEVE it’s of God only. (vs15)
6.  We are some people’s enemies. They smell or see nothing in the gospel message, but they are blind and will die in sin. He who sees nothing in Christ is cursed of God. Christ is the God who saves sinners and to reject that is to be cursed (vs16).
7.  Some hear Christ and say, “Yes, that is true, and that is the message of life”, and they shall live ETERNALLY thereby. The goodness of God will be faithful to all who see goodness in God and believe it.  If you will see FREE GRACE as salvation’s glory, then free grace will save you as promised. (vs16)
8.  This makes us WEAK in the knees, as we see ourselves as messengers that must be heard or hell will be suffered eternally. Who can bear the weight of responsibility to men’s souls and the burden of hatred from sinners?  Our God makes us go willingly and stand. (vs16)
9.  There are many false prophets who care only for themselves, not sparing the flock, corrupting the word, and using the bible to regulate people and exalt themselves. They TAKE, instead of give (vs17).
10.  They change the meaning, make it say what they want, and take away the saving power, even though they quote the verse. It is NOT enough to have the bible preached; it must be accurately and lovingly preached, so that God’s Spirit is on the word, so that love and blessings can flow (vs17).
11.  It is God’s word, not man’s, so we better not meddle with or corrupt it. We must not change it in any way, isolating parts and ignoring other parts.  Let us BE FAITHFUL to what He says, preaching Christ in the volume of the book , not using scritures to say what I think, but saying what it says, honoring God (vs17).
12.  Sincerely, we set forth what He says in the spirit whereby He speaks. We are not using truth to magnify self, but we are preaching it in love, following Paul who loved the gospel and the people.  Like him, we forsake our “joy” to find the joy of others, whereby we’re happy for sure, even as the Shepherd left heaven for us! (vs17)
13.  This we do being “of God”. This isn’t human strength; this is grace manifested in heart and life, so that we’re fruitful by the Holy Spirit who alone produces love and truth (vs17).
14.  This we say and do before God. We are not those who’re ignorant of reality, as if we can fool Him without consequence.  We do everything in sincerity before His throne, as if He looks upon us, depending on and receiving GRACE from Him, rather than sneaking around and living like atheists while quoting bibles. (vs17)
15.  We speak as those that have obtained mercy. We don’t merely speak of Christ, but we SPEAK in Christ as possessors of God’s inheritance, so that we speak what we’ve seen and heard. (vs17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heshimu Colar, Pastor

Heshimu Colar, Pastor
Welcome to The Gospel Blog